On 01.11.2011 23:46, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:

On Nov 1, 2011, at 12:27 PM, Jeremy Ashkenas wrote:

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Axel Rauschmayer <a...@rauschma.de <mailto:a...@rauschma.de>> wrote:

    Another problem: What if an instance method makes a super-call?

    A slightly less elegant (and performant) variant of your solution
    that works in both of the above cases is:

    - Keep track (per object and method) of the object where the
    previous super-call (e.g. super.foo()) ended up.

    - Start your search either there or at |this|: look for the
    *second* occurrence of property "foo". [optional: optimize
    non-|this| case]

Nope -- I think that design isn't the correct semantics. super() exists to delegate back to parent implementations of *the current method*. When calling a different instance method the calls should always start back out at the bottom of the inheritance hierarchy -- not at whatever level you happened to be on at the time.

Who says? See https://github.com/allenwb/ESnext-experiments/blob/master/ST80collections-exp1.js#L419

Note that this is a direct transliteration of code from one of the first and longest lived object-oriented class libraries (see comments at the head of the file). So super calls to "other methods" have a long history. It is a relatively rare technique, but sometimes it is essential. In this particular case, a super call to the same method would produce a loop. In this case choice of doing this.do and super.do needed to be made by the original programmer based upon their decomposition of methods.

Yes, I agree that ability to define own super method name is useful (and some languages require it, even for constructors, e.g. Python).

However, another question I have. More often it's needed only to call the parent method exactly with the same name. Can we may it's optional?

I mean, if syntactic for is super(...), then we take the name from the caller function's name. Else, in case of super.foo(...) the name is specified explicitly.

Dmitry.