On 11/16/11 11:30 PM, David Herman wrote:
<|

On Nov 16, 2011, at 11:27 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:24 PM, David Herman <dher...@mozilla.com <mailto:dher...@mozilla.com>> wrote:

    Someone who shall remain nameless shot this down when I floated
    it privately. But I just have to throw this out there, because I
    kind of can't stop myself falling in love with it...

    We used to have this (mis-)feature for dynamically extending
    scope chains, and despite being ill-conceived, it did have this
    elegant syntax spelled "with." In ES5 strict, we banned that
    feature, and it's not coming back for ES6, or ever.

    Now we want a (good) feature for dynamically extending prototype
    chains. And here's this old keyword, just lying around unused...

       obj with { foo: 12 } with { bar: 13 } with { baz: 17 }

I don't get it yet. What do you mean by "dynamically extending prototype chains"? What does the above expression do and evaluate to?

I was confused by the "extending prototype chains" too, because the word 'with' made me think that you were proposing to replace .{ instead of replacing <|.

I completely understand the temptation to reuse the keyword, however. We all want redemption in the end!

    David

    So? Who's with me?

    Dave

    Cheers,