On Nov 17, 2011, at 3:17 AM, Axel Rauschmayer wrote:

>>>    obj with { foo: 12 } with { bar: 13 } with { baz: 17 }
>
> I like the idea! As it is syntactically different in this role, errors should
> be easy to spot.
>
> But I think `with` “points in the wrong direction” (object `obj` *with*
> prototype `proto`). That is, to me, it suggests a pointer going from
> prototype to object.

Well, ultimately the directionality is arbitrary. In my proposal it's
"prototype `obj` *with* instance `blah`". This results in LTR whereas the other
way ends up RTL. JS is built around English, so LTR seems more appropriate
(with all due sympathy to our Hebrew-speaking programmers!).

> The above example demonstrates just how well the <| operator works. The main
> objection to it is that it looks wrong in some fonts? Unless there is a
> general grawlix objection, something arrow-y would be great.

Every font I ever see it in looks terrible, and there is a general grawlix
objection. This is largely an aesthetic thing, but aesthetics matter and people
react very strongly against <| or funky Unicode symbols. (The latter just ain't
gonna happen.)

> Is there a list of symbols that have already been rejected? Seeing the
> preposition “with", I feel like suggesting “of” (prototype `proto` *of*
> object `obj`), but I think that has been rejected before (and is taken by the
> for loop).
>
>      obj of { foo: 12 } of { bar: 13 } of { baz: 17 }

We're already using `of` for a different purpose (for-of), and it just reads
wrong here.

Dave