On Dec 29, 2011, at 6:34 AM, Axel Rauschmayer wrote:

>> We should probably avoid pressures for the build-ins to cover all possible
>> use cases. In ES.next we will should have all the primitives necessary for
>> JS programmers to define their own efficient collection objects, including
>> various kinds of hash-tables.  Hopefully some good libraries of such will
>> get written.
>>
>> I take it you are simply reiterating the desire for a standard system
>> provided high entropy object-identity hash that is guaranteed to correspond
>> to === and is.
>
> I’m curious: Is it likely that such libraries will get written by the
> community? This domain does not seem to enjoy much interest. (I would
> volunteer, but have neither the necessary expertise/experience nor the time.)

Well, If nobody else creates such a library, I will.

I think up to now, JS has not been particularly hospitable to collection
libraries, but this will be different in ES.next.

> Can we profit from prior work? The following comes to mind:
>
> - “User-extensible sequences in Common Lisp”, Christophe Rhodes
>     http://www.doc.gold.ac.uk/~mas01cr/papers/ilc2007/sequences-20070301.pdf
>
> - Programming languages with collection APIs (among many others): Smalltalk,
> Java

See my experiments with Smalltalk-80 collections in ES.next at
https://github.com/allenwb/ESnext-experiments .  However, if I was actually
going to use Smalltalk collections as a model I would start with the ANSI
Smalltalk collection specification
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/172/standard_v1_9-indexed.pdf section 5.7

Allen