>> I’m curious: Is it likely that such libraries will get written by the
>> community? This domain does not seem to enjoy much interest. (I would
>> volunteer, but have neither the necessary expertise/experience nor the time.)
>
> Well, If nobody else creates such a library, I will.

+ Number.MAX_VALUE

This has the potential to be one of the most important parts of ECMAScript.next
(whether as part of ECMA-262 or not).

> I think up to now, JS has not been particularly hospitable to collection
> libraries, but this will be different in ES.next.

I might be wrong about this, but: people reinvent different kinds of wheels in
different programming languages. And collections don’t seem to appeal to the JS
community.

>> Can we profit from prior work? The following comes to mind:
>>
>> - “User-extensible sequences in Common Lisp”, Christophe Rhodes
>>     http://www.doc.gold.ac.uk/~mas01cr/papers/ilc2007/sequences-20070301.pdf
>>
>> - Programming languages with collection APIs (among many others): Smalltalk,
>> Java
>
> See my experiments with Smalltalk-80 collections in ES.next at
> https://github.com/allenwb/ESnext-experiments .  However, if I was actually
> going to use Smalltalk collections as a model I would start with the ANSI
> Smalltalk collection specification
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/172/standard_v1_9-indexed.pdf section
> 5.7

Makes sense. There might be some additional insights in what the Lispers are
doing. This is more of a hunch than actual knowledge of mine – I simply like
their way of thinking about object-orientation.

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
a...@rauschma.de

home: rauschma.de