Isn’t that usually better handled via a regular expression?

One of the use cases for quasis [1][2] is to make it easy to insert literal
text into a regular expression. That seems pertinent here. Example:

    re`\d+(${localeSpecificDecimalPoint}\d+)?`

The text in the variable localeSpecificDecimalPoint is matched literally by the
regular expression produced by re``.

[1] http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:quasis
[2] http://www.2ality.com/2011/09/quasi-literals.html

--