Yes, I see the use for returning the entire string if the needle isn't
found. I was also thinking about a dynamic start position, which is
why I'd favor something like this.

String.prototype.until = function (needle, start) {
    start ?? 0;
    return this.substr(start, this.indexOf(needle)) || this
}

It seems weird to call something like str.until("bc", 2), but the
other option would be to check if arguments[0] is a number, and if so
to set start = arguments[0] and needle arguments[1].