On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock <al...@wirfs-brock.com>wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2012, at 8:24 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>
> Hi Allen, if ES5 had only one mode, I'd understand this. But I thought we
> were trying to arrive at two modes, ES6 non-strict, to be backwards compat
> with ES5-non-strict, and ES6 strict, to be backwards compat with
> ES5-strict. I am perfectly happy to call ES6 non-strict "ES3", since
> ES5-non-strict really exists to be an ES3 compatibility mode, and was
> constrained to be backwards compatible from ES3. Likewise, I am happy to
> call the new ES6 strict simply "ES6".
>
> When I talked about "ES5" in my original post I meant full ES5 including
> both strict and non-strict modes.  Since ES6 is supposed to be a strict
> super set of ES5 strict mode, anything in the ES5-only category must be an
> exclusively non-strict mode feature (for example, with).  I suppose you
> could call that category "ES3" but I decided to label it "ES5-only"  to
> keep things focused on differences between ES5 and ES5.
>
> Concretely, I am confused how your transition diagram is supposed to
> handle "use strict";. Reading your state machine literally, since "use
> strict"; is accepted by ES5, if it is accepted by ES6 (as I think we all
> agree it would be), then it would leave us in state ES5&ES6. Were you two
> base categories "ES6 non-strict" (or ES3) and "ES6 strict" (or ES6), then a
> "use strict"; would put us in your ES6 strict (or ES6) category, which is
> what I would have expected.
>

> Yes, "use strict" is in the ES5&ES6 category.  A ES5 completely strict
> mode program would start in State 5&6  and stay in that state for its
> entire "compilation".  Only encountering use of a new ES6 feature would
> case a transition to State ES6.  Looking at it another way, Both State ES5
> and State 5&6 include support for both strict and non-strict ES5 code.
>  State ES6 only allows strict code.

Them either I still don't understand, this proposal is broken, or we're
talking about three modes. Take the following three programs:

    1) program using only ES3 features and no "use strict";

    2) program using only ES5 strict features and saying "use strict";

    3) program using ES6-only features.

Do these three programs operate in three different modes? If not, do #1 and
#2 operate in the same mode, or do #2 and #3 operate in the same mode?

Putting #1 and #2 into the same mode breaks ES5 code. So to avoid three
modes, my conclusion is that #2 and #3 must be in the same mode. But that
does not seem to be what you're saying. What am I misunderstanding?

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM