Hello again!

Sorry to reply my own post, but I came to the conclusion that "Self-like shared part" simply cannot work as an argument (and that not to be able to override read-only property from the prototype _is_, indeed, an error).

If the "shared part" mind-set was the cornerstone of ES, then this:

foo = { x:4 };
bar = Object.create(foo);
bar.x = 5;
return foo.x;

would yield 5. After all, x is shared part of bar and foo.

But every knows that it yield 4. bar has its own x holding 5, foo has his own holding 4.
So as for this:

=== Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote ===
The basic idea is that the properties prototype object are shared parts of
all of inheriting child object.  Modifying such a shared part by a child,
introduces a local change that is visible to that child (and its children)
so this requires creation of a "own" property on the child. However,
read-only properties can not modified  ...
===

I can only reply with "if the prototype is the shared part as per Self mindset, you cannot create "own" property at all". In previous example, x is the shared part. Above statement bar.x = 5 would change foo.x (since it is the shared x).

So I think the model in Javascript is "fallback delegation" and creation of own property by Object.defineProperty is not an error; and creation of own property by assignment should be allowed; and inability to do it is indeed an error.

Herby

-----Pôvodná správa----- From: Herby Vojčík