Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:16 PM
To: François REMY
Cc: Herby Vojčík ; es-discuss@mozilla.org
Subject: Re: Block Lambdas: break and continue

François REMY
January 14, 2012 1:01 PM
If we want to avoid to break TCP, we can go with “throw break;” and “throw continue;”.

This doesn't address Herby's TCP-violating wish for a non-return that completes the block-lambda's control flow normally with a value (the message to which I was replying). But you're right that it wouldn't violate TCP either if we support it the same in a block statement as in a block-lambda downward funarg.

It would throw a new BreakException or a new ContinueException, from the place where they are executed. If it’s outside a block lambda, it’s outside a block lambda. It doesn’t matter.

Yes, this would avoid TCP violations but not carry a return value -- Herby's wish.

But it would set a “standard” for breaking throug ‘function loops’.

I considered this in drafting the block-lambda revival strawman. Other languages have gone here. Nevertheless, I would like to leave it out (remember N. Wirth on language design). It adds more complexity for a use-case that I bet is rare (in any case it needs credible demonstration of being quite common).

The complexity in the semantics is one issue Dave raised. This corresponds to complexity for optimizing engines, compared to the purely static break/continue semantics in the strawman.

Finally, the Array extras ship sailed. People already have to use some or every in lieu of a break-from-forEach. Using a function callback with forEach, one needs only to return to simulate continue. Now if we do standardize block-lambdas and throw break or throw continue, we certainly can elaborate the extras to catch these exceptions.

Such a more complex design seems workable with the costs noted above. But will the benefits really outweigh those costs? I doubt it. First, Array forEach and other uses will continue to use functions for quite a while, or else a compiler from new standard JS to old. In the compiler case, throw and try/catch will be required, and the compiler will have to monkey-patch the extras to deal with the new exceptions. This will be a performance killer, and no fun to debug.

So my thinking remains that we are better off, when in doubt, leaving reified break and continue exceptions "out".

/be

François