I'm not a native english speaker and I think both are the same when
learning.

Words allow people not knowing JS to kind of understand.
Symbols are shorter to write and are easier to spot when looking at code.

I'd prefer a symbol but I'm sure others would prefer a word (that's why
some operators became words in cofeescript).

So either we want all codes to look alike and we chose one of those two
options, or we want to let people chose and we add a word *and* a symbol.

Sent from my smartphone.