I've just had it pointed out to me that my original email made little sense, so let's try again:

const has historically been needed in non-strict/strict code for web compatibility on non-IE code (typically either down to server-side UA sniffing or just explicitly non-support of IE). IE still doesn't support it, which may suggest it's not needed for compatibility any more, but as far as I can tell removing it would break enough to make it infeasible.

As such, we should spec it: likely block-scoped in modules, and function-scoped otherwise. We should only really not spec it if we can get everyone who currently supports it to drop it.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon — Opera Software
<http://gsnedders.com>