Andreas Rossberg wrote:
On 20 April 2012 17:12, Brendan Eich<bren...@mozilla.org>  wrote:
But is it unthinkable to have 'as' (compositional of course) in the
pattern language only?

Perhaps, but what exactly do you mean? ;)

Patterns can have custom grammar in binding contexts (after let, in catch heads, etc.), whereas in an assignment expression's left-hand side we'd need ObjectLiteral and ArrayLiteral to cover the grammar.

I sense trouble trying to add 'as' to the expression grammar (AssignmentExpression to be precise). We could parse it and reject it with supplemental syntax for rvalues, and allow it in lvalues, but there is a "spec smell". I think from past discussions that TC39 wants the grammar to be as precise as possible while still LR(1) with lookahead and other restrictions.