On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM, John J Barton
<johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Rafael Weinstein <rafa...@chromium.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM, John J Barton
>> <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:

>> > I can understand how batched changes and end-of-turn asynchronous calls
>> > are
>> > a good match.  The development model is now "here are the changes from
>> > this
>> > turn" rather than "here is a change".
>> >
>> > But I don't understand how end-of-turn asynchronous calls helps with the
>> > multiple independent listeners problem. If a listener can mutate the
>> > DOM,
>> > then change-listeners depend upon change-listeners. The relative timing
>> > of
>> > the listener calls and the non-listener DOM mutations does not change
>> > that
>> > dependency.
>> >
>> > And once change-listeners mutate the DOM then the API of "here are the
>> > changes from this turn" again misleads the developer relying on it.
>>
>> Actually, this isn't quite right. It's "here are all the changes since
>> the last time you were invoked". I.e. every observer is always
>> delivered all changes to all entities it is observing up to the time
>> that it is invoked. To be concrete, the following invariants always
>> hold:
>>
>> A) When an observer is invoked, is it delivered a sequence of change
>> records representing all changes to entities it is observing -- up to
>> the time of its invocation.
>> B) When an observer is invoked, it is free to mutate entities and do
>> work without risk of being preempted by other observers being notified
>> of changes it makes.
>> C) Conversely, when an observer is invoked, no other script is below
>> it on the stack.
>> D) An observer will be delivered all changes to entities it is
>> observing before the turn ends.
>>
>> These are true for both Object.observe() and for DOM Mutation Observers.
>>
>> In other words, any given observer can be blissfully ignorant of all
>> other actors in the system. It is always delivered a full picture of
>> what has happened in its world, it can act completely independently of
>> other actors, and it will always get all of its changes before the
>> turn ends.
>>
>> Does this address your concern?
>

> Can we create a simple example that demonstrates the API advantage of
> asynchronous events in the multiple observer case?
>
> The example would need a DOM mutations (M1) and two handlers (H1 and H2) and
> let's have H1 mutate the DOM (M2) in a way that H2 depends upon

If:
-I understand your notation
-We use DOM Mutation Event's behavior as the model of synchronous
-DOM Mutation Observers and/or Object.observe() as the model of async,

..then you have it basically right, but it's actually worse in the
sync case and better in the async case than you've stated, as:

-In the H1-first case, H2 gets to handle both M1 and M2 in the same
invocation, as those represent the changes up to that point
-In the both cases, H1 gets notified of its own changes because in the
sync model there's no good way to ignore your own changes. In the
async model, it's trivial -- you just suspend observation while you do
your work.

> Synchronous, H1 first:
>    H1(M1) H2(M2) H2(M1)  <<< correct? or H2(M1, M2)?

H1(M1) H1(M2) H2(M2) H2(M1) <<< yes, but H1 has to tolerate being
notified of his own change.

> Async, H1 first
>    H1(M1) H2(M1)  H2(M2)

H1(M1) H2(M1, M2)