Dean Landolt wrote:
On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Brendan Eich <bren...@mozilla.com <mailto:bren...@mozilla.com>> wrote:

    Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

        It might be useful to expose this functionality with a more
        obvious
        name, to underscore that you lose the secrecy/unforgability.
        Symbol.public()?

    We are mooting public as the keyword for non-private but unique
    symbols, so that's ambiguous. ReallyPublic? :-P We want to capture
    the singleton sharing, and 'intern' is the jargon word to use. For
    the jargon-disabled, I'm not sure what to use, but perhaps
    teaching people about intern'ing is better than using some long
    Java-esque name.

Maybe Symbol.namespace('iterator') to communicate that you're referencing the global System namespace pool. Anyone can easily roll their own namespace pools too.

Urgh, namespace is misleading, it suggests Common Lisp's symbol packages, the AS3/ES4 namespaces, XML namespaces. Here, @iterator is not a prefix or part of a pair, or set-of-symbols. It's just a symbol you can find from a string.