And the time zone names in formatted output when no localized time zone name is
available:

On Mar 1, 2013, at 9:41 , Phillips, Addison wrote:

> I think the least surprise would result if the GMT+/- string were used when
> no local representation is available. While the actually time zone is more
> specific, most callers are just trying to put a date or time value into their
> output for human consumption. In most cases, the DST transition rules are
> unimportant to a specific date value being rendered and the GMT offset is at
> least somewhat compact. Users are probably more familiar with this
> presentation and certainly will be happier with it than "America/Los_Angeles".

It seems we have agreement that the canonicalized IANA names are not good for
formatted strings. I like the CLDR solution, but see it as implementation
dependent. Maybe there's just no value in trying to define something in the
standard since any implementer can claim that "Center, North Dakota" and
"GMT+09:00" are localized representations for some locale. So, leave it all
implementation dependent?

Norbert