On Mar 2, 2013, at 8:46 , Mark Davis ☕ wrote:

> The TZDB has the equivalence class {Asia/Calcutta Asia/Kolkata}. They used to
> have the former as the canonical name (in Zone), but then changed it to the
> latter. Here is the current TZDB data:
>
> zone.tab
>
> IN    +2232+08822     Asia/Kolkata
>
> asia
>
> Zone  Asia/Kolkata    5:53:28 -       LMT     1880    # Kolkata
>
> backward
> Link  Asia/Kolkata            Asia/Calcutta
>
> Because of the Link, both are valid and equivalent.
>

> CLDR, because we need stability, retains the former TZID as the canonical
> name. That is the meaning of the first alias in
> http://unicode.org/repos/cldr/tags/release-22-1/common/bcp47/timezone.xml
> such as in:
>
> <type name="inccu" alias="Asia/Calcutta Asia/Kolkata" description="Kolkata,
> India"/>
>
> The short name (name="...") is only used for BCP47 subtags (because of the
> ASCII/8-char limit), not for communicating with TZDB implementations. Nor is
> it used in CLDR for the canonical ID.
>
> Instead Asia/Calcutta is used as the canonical ID.

That breaks if/when the tz database removes Asia/Calcutta from its Link list
and other systems using IANA names stop supporting (or never start supporting)
that name.

I still think the stability issue should be addressed in the IANA time zone
database itself, not by adopting a IANA-derived alternate registry. Has that
been tried?

Norbert