Alex, I wrote that with best intents. I have the incredible ability to
transform any thread in a flame so for this mailing list sake is better, as
I've written already, to be as far away as possible (I keep watching
threads though).

I'll try to quickly answer:

@gaz, yes, dictionaries and lookup tables are problematic in current mobile
webkit browsers.
__proto__ has the ability to change a `null` object.

@Alex

In current Chrome __proto__ is configurable and can be deleted. What's
missing is the ability to recycle the setter later on (the getter ain't
needed, there's Object.getProottypeOf() to do that)
Once we have that, this woul dbe possible:
https://gist.github.com/WebReflection/5247136

AFAIK, Chromium might solve this soon so no need to fork it?
http://code.google.com/p/v8/source/detail?r=14139

I understand early adopters and the fact is unfortunately in too many
browsers now as de-facto mess due all problems described before but I don't
understand the answer of TC39

__defineGetter__
__defineSetter__
__lookupGetter__
__lookupSetter__

have been used and adopted by all browsers but IE for years and the
**right** answer from TC39 has been deprecating these and proposing

Object.defineProperty(get/set)
and
Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor()

It is still not too late to propose Object.setPrototypeOf(target,
proto):target and keep the __proto__ status deprecated 'cause I cannot
believe many of us are waiting for Object.prototype.__proto__ to be
removable so that the problem will be solved at the root.

The Mobile Zepto argument is really weak too. In the whole Zepto library,
and I believe in jQuery too, __proto__ is present in two tiny chinks of
code.
https://github.com/WebReflection/zepto/commit/66d84a05f8460f00dcf62cb610c0f12f606eff03

I've proposed already the push for that change but it comes again to
chickes or eggs:

"we would change if Object.setPrototypeOf() was specd, there's __proto__ se
we are good like this"

Performance is not an issue and the ability to change a property name or a
single piece of code makes a library a good one because refactoring is
really easy to do if the code is well organized and compact as most of the
libraries are out there.

Being also __proto__ soem dark magic nobody expect from a user input but
always managed internally, there won't be logic side effect too if not the
desire one: there are no situations where an object can be mutated by
accident.

The Ship Hasn't Sailed Yet ... ES6 is still a draft, and if that means
anything, it means it can be changed.

Object.mixin() is there too completely minimal and identical to a status
Object.setPrototypeOf(target, proto):target could be.

ES6 should spec that every property in the Object.prototype should be
configurable and propose better mechanism than one that could make
interoperability even more problematic in case node.js decides to do not
expose __proto__ and the web keep relying in a broken already deprecated
thing that will stay as it is for long time due not so new, and not so old,
Android devices, Nokia, etc.

All the best