Like I said, I don't care about the language or semantics. If it's such a
big problem for you to overlook the way I phrased it initially, I'll
rephrase it:

If a stable sort is used by the browser to implement Array.sort in some
scenarios, a stable sort should always be used to implement Array.sort.

And like I said, the specific problem is that if users fail to test on data
sets that straddle both sides of whatever arbitrary boundary the JS
implementor picked, they will fail to observe the browser's actual
behavior, and failures will only occur in the wild. The threshold at which
V8 switches between stable/unstable could change at any time if they
decided the performance gains justified potentially breaking a few
applications, and then suddenly more developers would be vulnerable to this.

-kg