Rick Waldron wrote:
On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

    Re
    
https://github.com/rwldrn/tc39-notes/blob/master/es6/2013-07/july-23.md#42-add-fill-and-copyslice-methods-to-arrayprototype-and-typed-arrays


    From the notes, it's unclear whether there was consensus on using
    the name "copyWithin" in place of "copySlice".  My recollection is
    that "copyWithin" was generally  preferred by those at in the
    discussion.  Does anyone else remember?


When I went to file this as a bug, I realized that we held off recording a consensus (waiting for Brendan's input), but we never came back to it.

I will try to avoid missing even a day of TC39, it clearly has taken some toll! ;-)

Given the in-place |this|-mutating update done by copyWithin, I'm ok with the name. But it seems to suggest "within current [0, length) bounds" -- i.e., no extension of the |this| arraylike. Yet it can of course extend.

In contrast, "fill" takes optional slice parameters but has a short name. Perhaps we would be better with either

copy : fill :: copySlice : fillSlice

Thoughts? Naming is hard, let's not rush it. One more round of bikeshed paint-color debate!

/be
_______________________________________________
es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

Reply via email to