Guy Bedford's es6-module-loader follows the Loader spec closely. I just
refactored it to create a function call `parse(load) -> deps`:

https://github.com/ModuleLoader/es6-module-loader/blob/master/lib/loader.js#L389

This location in the pipeline is pretty much where you suggest. I think
I've convinced Guy to let me add it as a hook. Maybe your request will push
him over the edge ;-)

Note that as far as I can tell, this function call provides a neat
interface between the Loader and parser.

jjb