> the payoff is decoupling how something is imported from how something is
> exported.

Maybe I'm being dense, but I must admit I find this statement to be
completely baffling.  The import side always has to match the export side -
how could it possibly be any different?  What am I missing here?

> A module is a bag of names, but there is no reason an import has to be as
> well.

Between the default import (which is what you want) and ModuleImport it
seems that all of our bases are covered.  What's the problem, then?

Is it merely that you want a default-default?  Is that the only issue for
you?