On 5 Aug 2014, at 16:20, Allen Wirfs-Brock <al...@wirfs-brock.com> wrote:

> We're only talking about Annex B, non-strict.  Right?

All engines are going to implement this anyway, so why make it Annex B only? I
wouldn’t restrict it to non-strict mode either, as this decision seems to be
purely based on the Firefox/SpiderMonkey bug that was discussed earlier.

> It would be great is somebody wanted to proposal the actual annex B language
> that is need to correctly describe the web reality semantics.

In section 11.8.3 (Numeric Literals), the definition for
`DecimalIntegerLiteral` should somehow be tweaked to match that of
`DecimalDigits`, with the exception that if the first digit is `0` and all
other digits are octal digits (0-7) it must be treated as a legacy octal
literal.

> Regarding, leading 0 constants in strict mode. The long term plan is to
> eventually make them legal decimal constants. The only reason not to do that
> now is because it might screw up people who are migrating non-strict web
> reality code containing octal constants into strict mode.

Firefox is the only browser that throws on `(function() { 'use strict'; return
08; }())` and the only reason it does that is because of a bug (see my earlier
email). In general, strict mode does not matter here.