I'd like to point out a example where using different sources (from older
and newer versions of a language) inside one runtime environment is used
fairly successfully.

Each OpenGL version comes with a new version of the GLSL language, which
may break things. On top of my head this was the case in:

   - varying -> in/out
   - gl_FragColor -> gl_FragData[n]
   - removal of builtins (such as gl_ModelView)

The first version of GLSL for a platform does not require marking up with a
version (as in OpenGL 2.0, OpenGL ES 2.0). Subsequent versions required the
version directive "#version XXX" on top of the source file, if they wanted
to use later iterations of GLSL.

The advantage of that was that all engines/libraries/snippets you might've
used keep working, even as you start using the newer version and gradually
fade out support/development/dependencies for older versions.