An async load will call for a module that knows--synchronously--its
imports. The server can respond with the entire tree in one response.

The problem comes in avoiding duplicate transmission of modules shared by
multiple async loads. The client will need to signal the server about the
previously loaded modules.

If you search this list back to posts by Ian Hickson you can read about his
HTTP/2 based discussions.

Broadly this subject is considered by "professional" web developers as just
a moot point.  They consider dynamic loading with decisions made in the
client to be undesirable.  They do support what might be called "optional"
loaded later. But the dependency decisions are all baked into the server
and thus the tree of layers known only in the client does not arise.

HTH,
jjb