Hello,

I've been looking into completions records in ES6, and I have a question
regarding loop unrolling, as it seems completion records are dealt with
differently for breaks inside loops and breaks inside blocks.

For while loops, the spec says (this is the part that applies to
a "break" in the statement, as in that case LoopContinues is false):

e. Let stmt be the result of evaluating Statement.
f. If LoopContinues (stmt, labelSet) is false, return Completion(stmt).

For blocks, the spec says:

StatementList : StatementList StatementListItem

1. Let sl be the result of evaluating StatementList.
2. ReturnIfAbrupt(sl).
3. Let s be the result of evaluating StatementListItem.
4. If s.[[type]] is throw, return Completion(s).
5. If s.[[value]] is empty, let V = sl.[[value]], otherwise let V = s.[[value]].
6. Return Completion{[[type]]: s.[[type]], [[value]]: V, [[target]]:
s.[[target]]}.

The difference between the two is the following: if there is a "break"
carrying the empty completion value in a while statement, then it is
returned as such. For blocks, the completion value is patched with the
current value (V in the algorithm above).

According to the spec, the following code has a completion value of
1 (the completion record of the while is (break,empty,a), it gets
patched to (break,1,a) in the inner block, and the labeled statement
return (normal, 1,empty) which is also the final completion record).

#+begin_src javascript
var c;
a: {
  c=1;
  while(true){
    if (c)
      c=0;
    else
      break a;
#+end_src

If we unroll one iteration of the loop, we get this code:

#+begin_src javascript
var c;
a: {
  c=1;
  if (true) {
    if (c)
      c=0;
    else
      break a;
    while(true){
      if (c)
        c=0;
      else
        break a;
#+end_src

Now the completion record is (normal,0,empty): since the assignment
"c=0" is run outside the while loop, the value 0 gets patched in the
completion record, so the 1 is not patched in.

Is there a motivation for this difference of completion values between
while loops and blocks?

Thanks,

Alan

--