Wouldn't option 1 provide the transitivity you're discussing? If `a?.b.c`
calls `(void 0).c` then `(a?.b).c` and `a?.b.c` would be identical, and
both throw a TypeError.

>From my reading, it seems like option 2 is the one that does not provide
transitivity, and tbh would surprise me greatly in the context of JS. If I
want the short circuit in option 1, I'd do `a?.b?.c` to indicate that,
whereas in option 2 if I don't want the short circuit, I'm forced to use
separate variables.