I hacked together something similar myself.  IIRC, this particular
transformation has issues with nested operators (e.g. a.b?.c.d?.e.f?.h).
Of course that's an implementation detail, but the problem (if I'm
remembering it right) is that people couldn't figure out what the
implementation constraints are (I think there was consensus that the
trinary transformation was unworkable), and without knowing those
constraints it wasn't possible to write a spec for it.

I could be remembering all this wrong, but that's my recollection of how
that conversation went.  I think the consensus was to wait for the ?
operator to become more mature in other languages.