This is a limitation of Babel and not at all a reflection of the actual
specification. This restriction is imposed order to follow ES2015 semantics of
not being able to reference `this` before `super()`. It does a pretty dumb
check of only allowing it to be strictly after the call (ie. not before or
inside it). Note that this is also the behaviour of Traceur and TypeScript so
Babel is not alone with this decision. You can see extensive discussion of this
in the issue: https://github.com/babel/babel/issues/1131