On 9/8/15, Michael McGlothlin <mike.mcgloth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a reason not to provide an object id and hash value as other
> languages often do? I find myself defining an identity symbol on objects
> with a value from a simple global counter. It makes it easier to debug if I
> can just look at a log and see what objects and functions were active.
>
> Likewise a hash value would simplify a lot of comparisons and make it easier
> to debug.
>
> I especially find the ID useful when working with bound functions as they
> can be difficult to tell apart. I like to change toString() to provide the
> ID followed by the code (flattened to one line).

NFE's are safe to use where IE8 support isn't needed*.
(function aa(){}).name; // "aa"

As for using Object IDs and Object Pooling, lexically-scoped values
have benefits over global ID generators (as your counter). The values
can be passed in as a parameter to the Factory (useful with Private
Proxy). There other benefits to this pattern regarding memory
management and application design. Contact me if you'd like to learn
more.

* https://kangax.github.io/nfe/
--
Garrett