> Why not? The standard defines well-known symbols. Maybe `@operator` could
be a well known decorator (assuming decorators get approved).

Well... you make something into the standard with proposals, not why-nots,
so in order to make that happen you need to draft another proposal for
well-known decorators. And remember that decorators are essentially just a
syntax to apply functions to objects/classes at design time, so what you're
proposing is essentially some new global function, which is going against
the current trend and effort to better modularize/namespace all these
utility functions/methods. And maybe a new mechanism could be drafted for
these new well-known decorators, so that we can hide these new functions
somewhere... but by now I hope it's becoming clear that it's introducing
way too much new surface area for the language in exchange for one small
feature.

> I haven't seen any proposals for macros, could you post a link?

It has been mentioned and discussed in numerous places over the years, you
can find more info on this with some casual googling. For example:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2983420