> And remember that decorators are essentially just a syntax to apply
functions to objects/classes at design time, so what you're proposing is
essentially some new global function, which is going against the current
trend and effort to better modularize/namespace all these utility
functions/methods.

That's a really good point.

> It has been mentioned and discussed in numerous places over the years,
you can find more info on this with some casual googling. For example:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2983420

Thanks for the link.  I played around with sweet.js a bit over the
weekend.  Using macros should work if we went with Python style operator
overloading.  Instead of defining methods like _ADD_, _SUB_ etc. we could
create some well-known symbols, maybe Symbol.plus, Symbol.times, etc.

```
class Point {
  constructor(x, y) {
    Object.assign(this, {x, y});
  }

  [Symbol.add](other) {
    return new Point(this.x + other.x, this.y + other.y);

const u = new Point(5, 10);
const v = new Point(1, -2);

const w = u + v;  // desugars to u[Symbol.add](v)
console.log(w);   // { x: 6, y: 8 };
```

This would require default implementations to be defined on
Object.prototype for Symbol.plus, Symbol.times, etc.