I don't see how this is like referencing the object a field is in during object construction. Yes field2.field4 would not be able to reference field2.field3 but that is not what I am proposing. I am proposing a syntactic sugar for nested objects

On 2017-06-22 10:05 PM, J Decker wrote:

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 7:56 AM, Sebastian Malton <sebast...@malton.name <mailto:sebast...@malton.name>> wrote:

    I would like to propose that the dot or '.' is allowed in object
    field names so that the following are allowed.

    var obj = {
    field1: "val" ,
    field2.field3: 3,
    field2.field4: true
    };

This is much like
var obj = {
   field1: 3
   field2 : 4
   field3 : obj.field2+3
}

which falls apart because obj isn't technically fully defined, and doesn't have a field2. So your second field2.field4 wouldn't be able to reference the previous object created for field2.field3.

it would be a huge complexity for engines to create objects....

    Sebastian