It may be worth looking at Python 3 as a cautionary tail. For example, here
is a mailing list post from 2009 debating whether it is worth adding
features to 2.7 given that 3 is on the way:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-October/093204.html .
Eight years later, Python 2.7 shows no signs of going  away, and the
language has become, at least for portable code, basically static since
then.

Of course, although the Python developers used an abundance of caution in
rolling out a major version, it remains an open question whether adoption
would have been smoother had the C API not changed. It may be that this
difficulty would not affect JavaScript, and a new major version would be
more feasible.