`typeof null` is `"object"` for entirely historical implementation reasons,
not because things that don't fit the existing primitive list are
automatically `object`. Adding a new typeof `symbol` doesn't change a
precedent, because there was no such precedent. I understand that it's not
what you want, but that doesn't make it the wrong choice for the language.

If Symbols had been made typeof `"object"`, we'd have way more people on
here complaining about the exact opposite expectation that code like this
would work, where they assumed that `object` meant something that could
have properties added to it.
```
function addState(obj) {
  if (typeof obj !== "object" || obj === null) throw new Error("State can
only be added to objects");
  Object.defineProperty(obj, "state", {value: ""});
}
```
for instance if it were `"object"` instead, this would pass the library's
check and then throw because you can't define properties on a symbol,
instead of the nice error that the library author intended.

Adding additional typeof results also allows developers to write code
defensively. A dev could absolutely write
```
switch(typeof foo) {
  case "undefined":
  case "object":
  case "number":
  case "string":
  case "boolean":
    // handle normally
    break;
  default:
    throw new Error(`Unexpected value with ${typeof foo}`);
}
```
to enforce their assumptions about type, and give the user helpful feedback
if new types are added in the future. If Symbol had been added as
`"object"`, there's is no way for developers to do this. Someone can guess
"maybe a new typeof will be added", but they would be super unlikely to
guess that a new object type would be added that didn't behave like any
other thing with typeof `"object".

At the end of the day, a new data type is always going to break assumptions
made somewhere, independent of whether there is a new `typeof` result or
not, and if that's already the case, adding a new typeof is much more
consistent with the types already in the language because Symbols do not
behave like normal objects.

I can't tell from what you've said so far, is your complaint that a new
`typeof` result was added, or is it that Symbols aren't actual objects? If
the complaint is entirely about `typeof` then I feel like my above comments
mostly make that clear, but if your issue is just that they should have
conceptually been objects, then I don't feel like you've made it clear why
that would be better than a new primitive (independent of typeof).