Just thought I'd make this important item of note: most of those sites
have a *lot* more variables than just parse/execution times.

- Wikipedia extensively uses progressive enhancement and does *all*
their rendering server-side outside of the few interactive components
involved (e.g. editing, search). Benchmarks are going to be more about
HTML parsing speed than JS (and HTML parsing is considerably more
difficult).
- Facebook and Google use JS extensively, but they have so many assets
in general to load that they defer most of their script loading to the
last moment possible, which can make load times seem much faster than
they really are (as in, the `onload` event fires before the page is
fully loaded conceptually). They split their bundles automatically,
they both primarily rely on binary data transmission (especially on
mobile), and Facebook in particular rolled their own auto-batching
framework called GraphQL, just to effectively manage the large amount
of requests they require (to avoid overloading both their servers and
their clients). Baidu and friends have a similar story.
- Reddit is a curious case, and probably should be reported. It's slow
to load on all browsers, though, but that huge jump between Electron
v0.27.1 and v0.28.1 (plus the presence of several outliers and the
fact it hasn't fully come back down) signifies a non-deterministic
perf regression in the loading pipeline that hasn't been fully
resolved. The V8 version is the same on both, so that can be ruled
out.
- If you remove Reddit, Yahoo, and QQ.com, the only significant change
was in Electron v1.0.1 to v1.1.1, shifting from V8 v4.9 to V8 v5.0. V8
v5.0 brought a lot of ES5 perf and stability improvements. (It also
brought those sites closer to back in line with less variability.)

Yes, execution time does have an impact, but engines already had most
of the necessary infrastructure in place to avoid too much issue -
engines can even inline proxy calls now, and they didn't have to
reinvent their internal structure to do so. (V8's massive
Ignition/TurboFan/CodeStubAssembler restructuring was independent of
ES6, and was just for bringing a sense of performance predictability
and easier code reasoning, without having to go through tons of
low-level boilerplate to do so. ES6 was a partial catalyst, but
internal maintenance issues were a similar factor.)
-----

Isiah Meadows
m...@isiahmeadows.com

www.isiahmeadows.com