On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 9:16 PM Isiah Meadows <isiahmead...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The way this conversation is going, we might as well just create a
> schema-based JSON serialization DSL for both parsing and stringifying.
> But I don't really see that as helpful in the *language itself* at
> least as a mandatory part of the spec (maybe an optional built-in
> module).
>
> I've in the past few months seen similar things come up a few times
> already. I like the idea of a built-in schema-based JSON validator +
> parser (it'd be faster than what we currently have), but most things
> out there suck in some way, mostly just being boilerplatey, and
> there's a lot of design work to get out of the way first before you
> can come up with something that doesn't.
>
> But as it stands, the only things I'd support for the `JSON` global itself
> are:
>
> 1. Adding separate prototypes for `JSON.stringify(source, options)`
> and `JSON.parse(source, options)`, so it's easier to extend and
> comprehend the arguments.
> 2. Adding an option to parse anything consisting of purely digits (no
> exponent or decimal) as a BigInt, regardless of size.

This won't work....

``` desired object
{ a : 123, b : 123n }
```

``` json
{ "a":123 ,
  "b":123 }
```

 function test( json ) {
   var c = json.a * 5;
   var BIc = json.b * 5n;
}

if long numbers only translate to bigint (and small as Number); the calc
for 'BIc' fails.
if everything is translated to bigint  the calc for 'c' fails.

3. Adding an option to stringify BigInts into integer-only numbers and
> normal numbers into unconditional floats.
>

> These could be either separate methods or part of a 4th options argument.

Well; Since JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) there's now available to JS a
feature that an 'n' suffix can be applied to a number.  Seems JSON should
just inherit that.

Although I would like to see a better method than eval() to translate the
input string from JSON for say { d : 123n }; right now within JS I'd have
to use EVAL; in V8 I could just create a BigInt::new()....

(and RE: eval, not saying it's a GOOD solution; it's just apparently the
only solution ATM; other than splicing the string.)