In a language with arbitrary integer precision, Python 3 for example, the
way to parse a "BigInt" would just be a plain, human readable number
without quotes. The way to serialize it is the same. Any other kind of
representation is out of spec, a workaround, and belongs in userland.

I think BigInt should serialize the same, not as strings or anything that
is not a number. JSON.parse being unable to parse back into BigInt is a
separate issue. It is solvable by using better parsing methods, not the
convenient built-in one which has other issues. E.g. a streaming JSON
parser that lets you inspect the key name and string being parsed can
handle this. Case solved and you can also redesign your code so you are not
creating a temporary object every single parse that you most likely copy
into actual objects later.

Not serializing BigInt is questionable to me but even that can be solved in
userland.