Code that uses % is often surprisingly buggy. For example even a simple
function such as this is broken if n is negative:

function isOdd(n) {
    return n % 2 === 1;
}

isOdd(-3) // false

The same is not true in other programming languages. The same in Python
works just fine:

def isOdd(n):
    return n % 2 == 1

isOdd(-3) // true

The advantage of an operator over a function is that it allows us to say to
people who are new to JS: "Always use %% instead of % unless you have a
good reason". Just the same as we say "Always use === instead of == unless
you have a good reason".