BTW, I just wrote up a more precise, formalized proposal over here:
https://github.com/isiahmeadows/proposal-divisor-dependent-modulo/,
and I'd be more than willing to work with a TC39 champion on it. I
personally prefer syntax (pretty strongly), but I'm not beholden to
it.

I do feel the semantics are simple enough it'd be okay to lower it to
syntax, and it naturally just glides right in. I find it *very* odd
that some languages use a simple operator `%` or relatively short
function for remainder keeping the sign of the dividend but relegate
the version keeping the sign of the divisor (the more useful and
intuitive of them) to a much more verbose function call. Of all
Wikipedia lists in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulo_operation,
here's the four that do this currently - all but one expose an
operator for the first:

- Fortran: `mod` for dividend-dependent, `modulo` for divisor-dependent
- Julia: `%`/`rem` for dividend-dependent, `mod` for divisor-dependent
- Java: `%` for dividend-dependent, `Math.floorMod` for divisor-dependent
- XBase++: `%` for dividend-dependent, `Mod` for divisor-dependent

And it's worth noting most other languages (including some end
user-oriented ones) that show a syntactic preference to one or the
other expose a simpler one where the sign matches the divisor, a more
complicated one where the sign matches the dividend. For a variety of
examples:

- Ruby: `%`/`modulo` for divisor-dependent, `remainder` for dividend-dependent
- SML: `mod` for divisor-dependent, `Int.rem` for dividend-dependent
- Elm: `modBy` for divisor-dependent, `remainderBy` for dividend-dependent
- Euphoria: `mod` for divisor-dependent, `remainder` for dividend-dependent
- Python: `%` for divisor-dependent, `math.fmod` for dividend-dependent
- Smalltalk: `\\` for divisor-dependent, `rem:` for dividend-dependent

And of course, many don't even expose a type of modulo where the sign
matches the divisor. For some examples:

- APL
- LibreOffice/Excel
- Lua
- Perl
- Mathematica
- PL/I
- TCL

There's also Dart, a relatively new language which defaults to
non-negative always.

This relatively long list of languages, *despite* C's heritage and
semantics being inherited in much of them, makes me question using a
function for this, and there would need to be a *lot* of FUD to get
people to use the function more than the operator.

So this is why I would prefer an operator as opposed to syntax for this.

-----

Isiah Meadows
cont...@isiahmeadows.com
www.isiahmeadows.com