__proto__ breaks abstraction boundaries in the language -- it's just

Hiding for the sake abstraction is more valuable than introspective
visibility? I disagree, at least with JavaScript, IMHO JS's introspective
nature is one of it's greatest strengths. Is there a precedence for this in
other languages? Java is big on abstractions but inheritance is still
introspectable (I realize that is not completely the same). And I believe
that Self, the closest relative, makes the proto available throught .parent*
property (I could be wrong about that).

security threat depends on the details of the environment: whether

Hasn't that security threat been evaluated by the years that this property
has already been available?

Kris