I am not looking to make trouble here, believe me, but I want to
point out two things that could help David's case:

1. JS regexps were modeled by me (to lwall's horror ;-) on Perl
regexen. Here's what perl (5.8.8) does:

$ perl
"aaab" =~ /(a\1)+|b/;
print "$& ($1)\n";
b ()

It's no surprise JavaScriptCore agrees, since it is based on PCRE.
Tamarin is too -- do you know what it does?

2. IE JScript does not agree with any of Perl/JavaScriptCore or ES3
and conformant implementations. That does not mean it should prevail
for this edge case. But it does suggest we could change to match
Perl, and match David's two-person (three counting him; perhaps four
if I count ;-) developer sample.

/be