On 2007-11-14, at 19:22 EST, Graydon Hoare wrote:

> (As far as I can tell -- not being a dylan hacker -- dylan doesn't
> even
> go as far as having a global sentinel type like nil)

The Dylan equivalent of a nullable type is a union of your type with a
singleton that acts as the sentinel.  Most often a singleton of the
boolean false value is used.  So there is a macro `false-or(<type>)`
that expands to `type-union(<type>, singleton(#f))`.  This works for
any type other than a nullable boolean.  Because any value other than
#f coerces to true in a boolean context, #f is very similar to nil.
I've never known anyone to need a nullable boolean.  (Although I have
seen whacky es3 code that uses true/false/null as a sloppy 3-valued
enumeration -- with attended bug reports when null is passed expecting
it to behave like false.)

I must say, coming from Dylan, es3's undefined _and_ null seem like
overkill... but we're stuck with them now!