Of course some implementations would optimize away r, and EXP would be
back in tail position.  ISTR that the R5RS made a point of saying that
an implementation would be allowed to do that, and I think this ought to
be true for ES4 too.  Ditto, interprocedural analysis and/or inlining
may prove that the body of a "try" can't throw an exception, thereby
allowing the exception handler to be removed, thereby exposing a
possibility for TCO.  And so on.

Maybe we need a directive for turning off tail calls:

  please don't goto f(37)

--lars