Brendan Eich wrote:

> And over-minimizing a language imposes a complexity tax on programmers
> using it. This happened long ago with JS1 and it was compounded by
> foot-dragging monopolist misconduct since 1999.
>
> To decide whether to evolve JS or shrink it, you need only look at two
> things: 1) problems JS hackers run into every day, which are not solved
> by more idiomatic functional programming hacks that add cycle and space
> bloat to their libraries and applications; 2) competition from other
> languages in runtimes vying to displace the browser.

I think this is the specific point of disagreement. Complexity in a language
does not necessarily reduce the complexity of programs. I think the opposite
may
be truer. The difficulties we have had in the development community since 1999
were not due to over-minimization. They were due to features that did not work
as expected or reliably over the various brands and versions. I think that with
minimal changes we can significantly improve this language. Most of the changes
I would make would make it simpler, not more complex. And of course, our
overwhelmingly most important problem, insecurity, is not addressed by this
proposal. The proposal is trying to solve a problem from a 2000 viewpoint. We
have moved on since then. We have new problems now, and the proposal does not
match them.

I believe that it will be easier to improve the performance of the language by
simplifying it. That performance improvement will be critical as we move toward
mobile.

I can't make sense of your point about competition. The web's competitors all
provide access to multiple languages, including JavaScript. In the unlikely
case
that the proposed language is successful, I would expect them to support it
too.
It would seem that the web would be more competitive if it also offered
multiple
languages. I don't believe that a single, all-inclusive monster language will
be
competitive.