On Mar 26, 2008, at 4:47 PM, Ric Johnson wrote:

> On 3/26/2008, "Brendan Eich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> This is reductionism, therefore between silly and wrong,
>
> Can you explain the above fragment?

The whole of a language is more than the sum of its parts. The lambda
calculus is enough for computation but no one wants to use only it.
Danny Hillis built a computer from tinkertoys once...

>> * you can't make read-only properties in ES3;
>
> I think I can!

How?

> but is the intention sugar or hacker proof?

Hacker.

>> *you can't make don't-delete properties of plain old objects (only
>> vars in closures);
>
> Again, I can make it pretty darn hard to remove privledged fields
> without
> killing the tree,

How?

>> * you can't make objects that cannot be extended;
>
> This may be true.  But I think the crazy guy that invented
> livescript did
> this to allow the power of prototype and redefine the Object/ Function
> constructors actually had a good idea: JS is not a CLASSical language.

That does not solve problems where integrity matters more than it
does for the obvious use-cases I had in mind in favoring mutability.

>> * you can't yield from a function to its caller, saving state
>> automatically in local variables, and send a value back to the
>> suspended activation of that function.
>
> I actually have a hack that used recursion, a global hash, timers, and
> closures that effectively did YIELD (and it worked most of the time
> too!)

I don't think you read what I wrote: save local variables, resume the
same function activation. Sure, you can implement state machines with
other techniques, which are ugly and hard to use by comparison :-P.

/be