I don't get it.

Your comment about inhibiting static analysis isn't right; if ns::x is a
name then either ns is known to be constant at compile time or not, and
if it is, then nothing prevents early binding.  ES3 systems perform
analyses that are inhibited by eval and with, and statically detect
whether eval and with are used in order to decide whether to perform the
analyses.

Anyway, what's the distinction between "dynamic lookup of first-class
object properties", as you write in a later message, and looking up a
name in general, once you introduce namespaced bindings in packages and
global objects (though not in local variables) and couple everything
with 'with'?  Are you saying I should be allowed to say (supposing
namespace 'French' exists):

  French::hello()

but not

  var language = French
  language::hello()

?  What purpose does it serve to have this restriction if static
analysis is not inhibited in the former case, as you wrongly claim it
is?

--lars