That could be true.  But it could also be the case that people
find that it is easier to say

  var x = ...
  var y = ...
  var n = "x"  // but could be y

  // n may change here by assigning another string to it
  eval(n)

than

  var x = ...
  var y = ...
  var n = function () { return x } // but could be y

  // n may change here by assigning another function to it
  n()

(and the latter does not handle shadowing, for better or worse).

--lars