On May 31, 2008, at 6:17 AM, Pratap Lakshman (VJ#SDK) wrote:

> [I'll take shot at replying (and Doug can clarify)]
>
> A feature that is present in 3 out of 4 browsers makes it a
> candidate for inclusion into ES3.1. However, that does not guarantee
> that it will get included.
>
> In the present case, here are a couple of data points:
> (1) It was felt that providing the thisObj could potentially
> introduce a security issue.
> (2) In ES3.1 we want to support Function.prototype.bind.

To counter that, I would mention:

(1) The 3 out of 4 browsers that currently support the "thisObj"
parameter, and I do not expect they would remove it, so the spec will
be incompatible with 3 out of 4 implementations.
(2) Te proposed function.bind can be used to defend against this
rebinding, so the security issue can be avoided.
(3) Many existing ECMAScript functions can be used to perform this
rebinding, including Function.prototype.call,
Function.prototype.apply, and the ES3.1 proposed
Function.prototype.bind itself!

So, specifying map, filter, forEach etc as they are already
implemented in 3 out of 4 browsers does not create any consideration
that does not already exist, and the spec itself creates the means to
mitigate it.

> Taken together, this led us to propose codifying Array generics as
> called out in the proposal I sent out (i.e. without the thisObj
> parameter). As Doug mentiones below, apps could continue patching
> Array.prototype if they so desired, but going forward new apps
> should use bind instead of the thisObj.

If apps can redefine Array.prototype.map to do what existing
implementations do, doesn't that by definition mean the same security
issue still exists? Security is based on what bad things you *actually
can* do, not which are condoned by the spec as acceptable or which are
common practice. I imagine the reason "this" rebinding is of concern
is for secure dialects trying to prevent malicious code from doing it,
not to protect against someone doing accidentally.

Thus, I can't see a sound reason to be incompatible with existing
practice.

Regards,
Maciej