On Jul 10, 2008, at 12:41 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 11:59 PM, Brendan Eich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Have you read

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=proposals:versioning

?

I had read it, but rereading it in the current context was illuminating. Thanks for the pointer.

Is "current document" the same as "current frame" and "current global object"?

It turns out that they are coterminous and coextensive, because closures entrain the global object -- yet the window object as returned by window.open or accessed otherwise via the DOM must have persistent object identity -- you can write 'var w = window.open (...);' and no matter how many docs load in w, its object-reference identity is the same.

This duality requires something called "split windows", where w is the "outer" window object that persists across navigation, and each document gets a fresh "inner" window object to use as the ECMA-262 "global object". All browsers do this now (Safari in seed 4 versions, if I recall Maciej's post here the other week correctly).

/be